Fantasy, Fantasy, and Anime Fantasy

So right now I'm having a sort of creative blitz going on.  My son begged me to run a mini-campaign using the Pathfinder rules, so I pulled together a small adventure (about 12 encounters).  Once that's done, I have my 4E campaign, the sequel to the one that was run by another member of gaming group.  I'm trying to see if you can do a "sandbox" campaign in 4E. We're 11th level right now, having been quickly jacked up by the previous GM, who leveled us up every three or four encounters.  I'm going to slow that way down to where it is in the rules (one level every ten encounters or so).  My thought was to cobble together about thirty encounters: five 10th level, ten 11th level, ten 12th level, and five 13th level counters.  I'd then get them together in groups of 1 to maybe as many as ten, and then scatter them around the sandbox.  Get some rumors and other adventure hooks and then let the players wander around.  We'll see how it works.

In addition, I got this idea while on vacation for a "kid" game.  I've got two, both under 13, and there's several more of those little monkeys running around in the younger generations of my gaming group.  Frankly, I think 4E doesn't quite work, and I wanted to do something a little more their speed.  I thought about Meddling Kids, but they all want to play a fantasy game with animal companions.  So I am thinking about running a kid-friendly version of Big Eyes, Small Mouth.  Drawing upon a bunch of anime shows like Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon, I'm calling it Crystal Beasts.

The basic plot is that the PC's are kids in this fantasy village (no non-human PC races, by the way) when there's a huge meteor shower that drops meteorites all over the kingdom.  The kids go to see where a couple of the meteorites landed near each other and discover three (or however many PC's there are) crystals, which then transform into magical creatures.  Unfortunately there's an evil sorcerer with a legion of orc-like minions and a few high-powered henchmen who wants to find all twelve of the gemstones so he can have all the power of the magical creatures.

The magical creatures, aka the "crystal beasts" are going to be a mix of the animals of the Chinese zodiac and the western monthly birthstones, so for example there might be a Sapphire Rabbit or a Ruby Horse.  But the kids, now backed up by their powerful companions, can run around the land looking for other crystal beasts, evading the bad guys (who might have snagged a couple of their own), and unlocking the secrets to the crystal beasts powers, like maybe having them evolve or merging them together or having them merge with their owners.  Who knows.  I'm not looking to write the next Tolkein trilogy here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review