Not Even Pretending

First of all, I'd like to share a quick video about a guy who has been running D&D (or technically, AD&D First Edition, from the look of the rulebook) for 35 years straight.


For someone who has never run a single campaign longer than about two years, I have appreciate that level of commitment, and the collection that has sprung out of it.

I, on the other hand, have not posted in two months.  Mostly that's because I haven't been running anything, and more often than not tend to post gaming recaps these days of games that I am actually running, rather than playing.  But the games in which I have been playing haven't been running much either the last two months.  Baker Street, I fear, has succumbed to the weight of the number of players.  The last session was enjoyable, but only about half the players really engaged, at the raw number of players ensured that someone in the group had the maxed-out skill for whatever task was required.

The most recent session of Star Trek went very well in my opinion, but was also likely helped by the small number of players (three) all of whom had a lot of experience gaming.  But it also struggles from my gaming group's other big problem--inconsistent attendance.  If you limit the group to six players, you are likely to maybe get four any given date.

All of which I have talked about ad nauseum on this blog.  So I'm stopping.

So, my gaming stuff.  A while back I talked about the possibility of running an urban hex-crawl, an idea that was picked up and taken to new heights by Fr. Dave over at Blood of Prokopius.  But his addition added not only a level of complexity, but also exploded the size of the task.  To wit, if you do five locations (rolling a d6 with one option being "lost" to determine what random place the PC's encounter, and you have, say, 20 hexes, you now need 100 locations for your city.

Which is overwhelming, to say the least.

And completely stalled me out. I was already dithering on a rules set, and then my brain seized up as well.  Therefore I need to ratchet everything down a notch of two, because I'm losing time gaming with my son, who leaves for college next year.

I do so want to run one more game with him.  He's been playing in my group since he was 10 or 11, and I know he'll be doing his own thing once he leaves.  So I need to set aside the enemy of the good--perfect--and find some time to be with him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review