KantCon

I actually did an earlier draft of this post but realized that most people were not interested in a play-by-play description of all my comings and goings, my struggles and victories, and everything else involving my weekend at KantCon.  So here's the brief recap:

The Good

  • Great location 
  • Good food
  • Friendly people
The Not So Good
  • On Friday there were not games available for people who had not pre-registered (like me)
What I bought
  • Ingenium by Silver Gryphon Games.  This is a great lightweight fantasy RPG that clocked in at $20 for 98 pages.  I literally crammed the rulebook in thirty minutes and was playing with my kids half an hour after that.  I'll do a review later, but both running and playing in this game was a breeze.
  • OSRIC this is the new giant black book from Black Blade Publishing.  Yes, it's 1st Ed. AD&D with a new slipcover, but at $26 for essentially the three core rulebooks in a beautiful binding its a deal for those who want the rules, and I think there's something to be said for supporting ambitious efforts like this, especially when they show up at small conventions.
What I played
  • Mousetrap 
  • Order of the Stick 
  • Ingenium
  • Car Wars
  • Black Friday 
  • Lab Monkeys
Most of these games I ended up playing with the kids.  Because of schedule issues and some other things I ended up not getting in as much gaming as I hoped.  I think in the future I will leave the kids behind and probably not carpool with someone else.  Being tethered to another person, who often was doing different things than me, sometimes kept me hanging around doing nothing while he finished up his stuff.  Lessons learned.

P.S. Go buy Ingenium.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review