An Endorsement

Or rather, a referral.  There are a lot of good people out there in the RPG world.  Last year I was at KantCon, a gaming convention which quite honestly has some logistical problems, the top of which is that they don't have enough events scheduled to handle walk-in traffic.  All the listed games were filled with pre-registrants, and my kids and I found ourselves twiddling our thumbs for a few hours waiting in hope that there would be space in later timeslots.
To pass the time I bought an RPG that touted a "three minute PC creation system" called Ingenium by Silver Gryphon Games.  It is, by all accounts, a "fantasy heartbreaker," meaning a fantasy RPG with a host of familiar tropes along with a home-grown game system.  It is a quirky game that has some editing problems and some curious omissions in terms of rules, but my kids loved the game.  They loved having cat- and wolf-people and humans with wings as PC races.  They loved the dirt-simple character creation system.  They especially loved it when the guy from Silver Gryphon Games ran a game during the convention in which they could actually participate.  It was, at the time, the first game that they had played in with their father that wasn't being run by their father.  And for the past year they talked about it.  My son brought the game with him to school frequently in hopes of talking friends into playing wolfmen or gargoyles or whatever.
So KantCon rolls around again and I was thinking of giving it another shot, so I contacted Silver Gryphon Games to see if, like last year, they were running Ingenium again.  Ingenium has been virtually dropped by SGG in favor of their Aether game, or rather the sourcebooks for Aether that have been adapted for Savage Worlds.
As such, there wasn't any plans for an Ingenium game, but the person I contacted at SGG basically said, "hey, I'll run a game for you and your kids when you come down."  Now that's all kinds of generous and cool (side note: and guarantees I'll be buying something from them at KantCon).
But I'm also thinking to myself, this game gets no support.  I realize that it is a very small fish in an overcrowded pond of very similar fantasy RPG's.  On the other hand, it's a company made of up nice people who just wanted to create rules for the games they play.  Which also happens to be a game my kids like to play. I'd half thought the last day or two of ditching D&D (of which I have no real personal connection) and playing this game, taking the stuff from it and then giving to SGG to use as resource material.
Anyways, I'll let you know how KantCon goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review