Skip to main content

Things I do to help be a better GM, part one

Noisms came up with the idea, and others are following suite, of  talking not specifically about how you could be as good a GM as I am, but rather about what I do to help myself do a better job running games.  I think this is a subtle but important concept: I'm a good GM, and maybe a great GM, but I'm not some Epic Level GM where people would pay good money to sit at my table.  I also continually try to be better.  So I think there is some value in talking about what I do to try to improve the craft, that subtle combination of art and science, that is running a roleplaying game.

And here's my first, very simple thing I do to try to make myself a better GM: Read More Books.

A few years ago a friend of mine began giving to me for my birthday a stack of books to read.  These are not books I would ever pick up for myself, because honestly I don't read a lot of books.  Or rather I didn't, and what I read tended to be a very narrow corridor of tried-and-true, fairly predictable authors.  Thankfully I didn't just let these books sit on the shelves, but have been reading them each year.

You may think that the best benefit of reading lots of books is being able to rip off the plot, but this is actually the least beneficial aspect of reading books, because book narratives and gaming narratives don't match up well.  I had a friend who loved book-style plotlines and was forever frustrated when players didn't emulate the genre in the way he wanted.  He should have just written his own books, and I told him so.

No, the thing that you can glean from books is little nuggets of treasure to file away for later.  For example, I read Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murukami a couple of years ago.  It's not a story that would make its way into any gaming adventure, really.  But in the opening chapter there is a description of a location called the Dolphin Hotel that is brilliant.  And I promptly copied the description down and used the Dolphin Hotel showed up in a later game.

Characters, locations, little clever turns of phrases or even the odd plot point or two can enrich your own creativity when it comes to gaming.  And it doesn't hurt to move out of your comfort zone.  If all you read are  Douglas Child and Lincoln Preston books, then all you are going to get is the same sort of fare (although some of them aren't bad at all).

More to come!  Comments welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A First Look at Prowlers and Paragons

For a long time I've been in the market for a new supers RPG.  Since running Marvel Heroic Roleplaying a few years ago, I've been looking at other games, including some that had been passed by the general public, e.g. DC Heroes Third Edition or Silver Age Sentinels.  This was based on the notion that supers RPG's are so niche and so under-performing as a general part of the RPG world that just because the game wasn't making a splash didn't mean it wasn't good.

Plus, I have my own tastes about what I like in a supers RPG, which I've touched on from time to time here, but to summarize I like a game that feels like a comic book, doesn't get bogged down in too much detail, but allows for PC growth and development in a tangible game-system way.  I also don't want to spend hours on character creation using a spreadsheet.  For that matter, it would be an added bonus if it could also accommodate a large number of players and didn't have glaring options…

Large modular dungeon tiles

I made five 4" by 4" dungeon tiles, which is 80 square inches, almost twice my usual batch of tiles.  When added to what I've done already, this is how big a single room I can make:


14 by 14 squares, with four squares to spare.  That's a pretty big room (70 feet to a side).  If I wanted to mix it up, I could build something like this:


I'm probably going to take a little break from this project.  It has turned out well, but until I'm closer to doing a fantasy game I'm going to focus on the games I'm actually doing.
Speaking of which, it's game night tonight...

Review: the Valiant Universe Roleplaying Game

Capsule: A near-clone of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying that throws out the good while keeping the bad.  Useful if you're a fan of the Valiant Universe.



I've been looking forwards to this game ever since Free RPG Day this year, although with some trepidation.  The rules were sketchy, and the free booklet promised more detail when the main rulebook came out.  I also snagged most of the additional free material Catalyst Games had put out as PDFs on DriveThurRPG, which gave me most of the major characters from the Valiant Universe.

Quick side note about Valiant comics, for those who don't know.  Originated in the 90's during the whole big indie comics movement that spawned Malibu, Image, and a host of others small publishing companies.  The early Valiant characters included a pseudo X-Men mutant youth team (Harbingers), a archtypal "Iron Age" gun guy (Bloodshot), the high-tech alien armor guy (the bizarrely named X-0 Manowar), and a quirky no-capes duo (Archer and Ar…