Skip to main content

Why I love my local gaming store

Four blocks from my house is a small gaming store featuring miniatures, roleplaying games, and board games.  The owner, Mike, bears more than a little resemblance to the comic book store owner on "The Simpsons."  But one reason why I like the store, Hometown Games, isn't just its convenience, it is because Mike is perfectly willing to talk me out of buying an RPG rather than try to convince me to, if it isn't the game I want.

Case in point.  Last night I was wandering around there and Mike said to me, "are you looking for something?"

I explained to him that I was several months away from ending my D&D campaign and was looking for something else, something different.  "Let me guess," said Mike, "you've got shelves of games at home, and none of them are right."

I agreed, and told him what games I had decided not to go with, like Pathfinder, because it was too much like what I had been running for the past several years. I asked him Dark Heresy, because I had heard some mixed reviews about it.  "Let me ask you this," said Mike, "does your group know the backstory to Warhammer 40K?"

"Only two of them," I said,

"Okay, then Dark Heresy may not be for you.  If you want to go with something like that, go with Only War, which I really like, because the notion of a military unit is more accessible to people, but you have to be careful with games that have a command structure some times.  Your players who are commissars might start shooting other people.  You can also go with Rogue Trader, because those are merchants in space, which is a pretty common concept for anyone familiar with sci-fi RPG's."

"What about Iron Kingdoms or Shadowrun?"

"Iron Kingdoms is another one that you need to know the background.  Shadowrun is pretty good, but there's a new edition coming out this summer, and since every edition has been better than the last, you're better off waiting."

So, just in case you missed it, a store owner told me to not buy product on his shelves that he probably will not be able to move in a few months.  Why?  Because he knows it is better to keep a customer happy with good service than score a quick sale.

Best store owner ever

What are your thoughts on the games I asked Mike about?  Comments welcome.

Comments

  1. I don't know about the games, but what I do know is you are SO fortunate to have a game store that worries more about the long term relationship with its customers than about the quick sale.

    Mike does indeed sound like the best store owner ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. must be great to have a store so close and with an owner who knows his stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A First Look at Prowlers and Paragons

For a long time I've been in the market for a new supers RPG.  Since running Marvel Heroic Roleplaying a few years ago, I've been looking at other games, including some that had been passed by the general public, e.g. DC Heroes Third Edition or Silver Age Sentinels.  This was based on the notion that supers RPG's are so niche and so under-performing as a general part of the RPG world that just because the game wasn't making a splash didn't mean it wasn't good.

Plus, I have my own tastes about what I like in a supers RPG, which I've touched on from time to time here, but to summarize I like a game that feels like a comic book, doesn't get bogged down in too much detail, but allows for PC growth and development in a tangible game-system way.  I also don't want to spend hours on character creation using a spreadsheet.  For that matter, it would be an added bonus if it could also accommodate a large number of players and didn't have glaring options…

Large modular dungeon tiles

I made five 4" by 4" dungeon tiles, which is 80 square inches, almost twice my usual batch of tiles.  When added to what I've done already, this is how big a single room I can make:


14 by 14 squares, with four squares to spare.  That's a pretty big room (70 feet to a side).  If I wanted to mix it up, I could build something like this:


I'm probably going to take a little break from this project.  It has turned out well, but until I'm closer to doing a fantasy game I'm going to focus on the games I'm actually doing.
Speaking of which, it's game night tonight...

Review: the Valiant Universe Roleplaying Game

Capsule: A near-clone of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying that throws out the good while keeping the bad.  Useful if you're a fan of the Valiant Universe.



I've been looking forwards to this game ever since Free RPG Day this year, although with some trepidation.  The rules were sketchy, and the free booklet promised more detail when the main rulebook came out.  I also snagged most of the additional free material Catalyst Games had put out as PDFs on DriveThurRPG, which gave me most of the major characters from the Valiant Universe.

Quick side note about Valiant comics, for those who don't know.  Originated in the 90's during the whole big indie comics movement that spawned Malibu, Image, and a host of others small publishing companies.  The early Valiant characters included a pseudo X-Men mutant youth team (Harbingers), a archtypal "Iron Age" gun guy (Bloodshot), the high-tech alien armor guy (the bizarrely named X-0 Manowar), and a quirky no-capes duo (Archer and Ar…