Impulse Buying, RPG edition

So, I was in the mood for some retail therapy the last week for a lot of reasons, none of which have real bearing for the purposes of this post, but for me retail therapy often has a big impact on my gaming collection.
Most of what I purchased were second-hand, used wargames (including All Quiet on the Martian Front, In Her Majesty's Service, and Field of Glory) but I also bought two RPG's, one used on eBay and another new.
The used one was the most recent edition of Traveller.


I bought this on the spur of the moment because of a comment one of my players had made recently to me about how the group rarely roleplays, and by that she meant do anything that wasn't a combat action.  And she's right--fight scenes are the bread and butter of my gaming group, although that's slowly changing.  But my thought at the time was that combat in Traveller isn't quite as common, is more dangerous, and isn't the core theme of the game (being a merchant marine and exploring weird planets might be, though).
Why a new rules set and not the previous Mongoose edition, which appears to be similar?  According to this reviewer, there's been some helpful and important changes which I will need to explore, but all sound pretty positive.  There's a sci-fi game going on in the gaming group now, but maybe this one could step in should it end.

The other game I purchased was Champions Complete.


So it turns out you can't buy this book at your local gaming store, because Hero Games isn't doing bricks-and-mortar retail, but just direct selling to the customer.  Which also means I couldn't find a second-hand copy easily either.  I've talked about Champions before, and like many love the "Big Blue Book" that was 4th Edition and played the holy bejeezus out of it in college.  5th Edition was off-putting for me, not the least of which because the book literally can stop a bullet.  I barely glanced at the 5th Edition corrective edition or the two-volume-plus 6th edition.

But Champions Complete is apparently a whittled-down version focused on superhero gaming (versus being a universal system), is under 300 pages in length, and costs a relatively light $40.  I got a glimpse of the rules in the new Strike Force book since they have write-ups for the Strike Force PC's and NPC's using the current system.  While I noticed the subtle differences between those write-ups and the 4th edition rules I knew and loved, they looked enough alike to consider picking up the rules.  They are on the way in the mail, so I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

Both rules stand a good chance of making it to the table.  I'm a little meh on licensed sci-fi RPG's right now, finding them too beholden to the source material, including stat write-ups for major characters, for my liking.  Traveller has a rich background, but one with enough space (no pun intended) for me to do my own thing.  And having spent a long time running a low-crunch supers game, with all the highs and lows of that experience, I'm interested to see how a high-crunch supers game fares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review