Q is for Quiet

I've been spending a lot of the past week in "quiet time."  Now some of it has been "quiet while you're brainstorming/praying/thinking/writing time" but some of it is out-and-out time just spent being quiet.

Much like novelty, this isn't what I'm used to.  I'm a "constant background noise" kind of person.  Actually I'm a "can hardly sit still" kind of person for that matter.  As it is I would sometimes plant myself in a lawn chair and sit quietly for fifteen minutes or so before I had to get up and walk again.  Thankfully walking the loop at the conference center was an acceptable way to spend quiet time.

As I said, much of what happened over the back half of the conference involved making plans for your own life informed by the lectures and workshops of the first half combined with some preliminary work I did back home and the work done during the contemplative time.  Yesterday I completed three major goals, each of which had four individual components to them.  I won't bore you with the details of most of the goals since they are largely personal and professional, both things that don't tend to appear on this blog, but one component was unplugging more often, especially when I'm at work and on my day off.  That's not to say I'm abandoning the internet, but my job doesn't require me to be online constantly.  Furthermore it's all too easy to get sucked into the vast, often negative, wasteland of the internet on my day off.

What does that mean for my own personally blogging?  Well, a good and an arguably bad thing.  I often try to post regularly, sometimes posting things just to get the post on the blog.  Not surfing the internet as much means I'll be doing more interesting things, including hobby-related things.  That means that what you see might actually become much, much more interesting, just maybe not quiet as frequent.  Since the frequent stuff wasn't always good, that in itself might be a positive.

Today is the last day of the conference, the last day of being completely coddled by staff and allowed to lounge around in the Arizona sun all day long (okay, that really didn't happen).  Tomorrow I'm heading back home, a trip that will take all day, and then Tuesday I'm back in the office.  That's probably a mistake and I should have given myself a transition day in there, but I just don't think it would have worked out.  So again, I'm probably going silent for a few days, and then I'll think about what the "R" word might be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review