R is for Really Not Very Good Book



One of the most disappointing things about this week was that I brought two not particularly good books with me to read.  The first was Dan Abnett's very Abnett-esque Ravenor Returns, and the other is the similarly licensed-product novel Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King, a novel written in the universe of the MMORPG Guild Wars.
So, where to begin.  Cardboard characters.  A detailed and even somewhat interesting first half that degenerates into a rushed second half where each chapter features the group of multi-racial, multi-class adventurers facing one uninspired Big Bad Evil Monster after another.  And then to cap it all off, an ending that basically leaves you, the reader, terribly betrayed and let down for any vestige of sentiment you might have towards any of the characters in the book.  A truly pointless ending, leaving me wonder if the idea was to open the door for a sequel, or a misbegotten attempt at pathos and tragedy by the author.
Thankfully I was sent two books by a friend while I was at the conference center, and I read one of them which was excellent (and my be saved for a later review) while I haven't cracked the other yet because it looks pretty heavy.
Hey, I'm caught back up!  Go me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review