RPGaDay 5: Most Recent RPG Purchase

Is it bad that I really had to wrack my brain on this one?


I will admit that a lot of the impetus for this purchase wasn't because I was convinced that the sixth printing of this book was a vast improvement over the previous five, but because I tend to be a bit of a completionist when it comes to my game collections and because, quite honestly, when you've gone into your FLGS a half dozen times or more and never bought anything but still use their bathroom you start to feel a little guilty.

Castles & Crusades is also my favorite "retroclone" that doesn't actually drive me nuts for being too much of a retroclone.  Although to be honest, 5th Edition D&D also feels a hell of a lot like Castles & Crusades.  I think between those two and 13th Age you pretty much have the "what WQRobb wants out of a D&D game" covered.

Now, the RPG purchase previous to that one is a bit more interesting and noteworthy...


Icons is not the superhero RPG for my gaming group, I know that.  They are too self-deterministic when it comes to making PC's.  But my kids have loved the game, especially my son who enjoys improv theater.  (It doesn't hurt that his first randomly-generated PC, El Diablo, was pretty cool.)  Regardless, I've already stolen ideas from Icons to drop into the next game of MHR I go, including the idea of team Distinctions.

I'm pretty sure that's it for RPG purchases for the last year.  For a long time in my life I bought everything that came down the pipe, but lately I've been more interested in just getting a good game going, rather than always looking for a new ruleset.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review