The "What Are You Good At" GM Challenge

Aside from posting about gaming sessions, I've been not doing a lot of blogging on this blog lately, so when Adam over at Barking Alien posted his What Are You Good At GM Challenge, I took the bait.

So I have to list five games I am great at running, three I am not so hot with, five reasons you consider yourself a good GM, and three things you feel you need to work on.

Before I do this, a sidebar.  I've had people tell me I'm a great GM, but some times I just don't see it.  I had a conversation last week where I began to wonder if I do this well at all, in fact.  So I have to overcome my own skepticism to do this list.  Also, I appreciate how Adam thinks that people have run eight different games.  God love that guy....

Without further equivocation...

Games I am great at running:

Old School Fantasy (the "murderhobo" campaign)
Superheroes
Picaresque Science Fiction (aka "Free Trader" sci-fi)
Post-apocalyptic
Pulp/Adventure stories

Games I am not so hot with

Cosmic Horror (aka Call of Cthulu)
Epic Fantasy
Military-style RPG's

Five Reasons You Consider Yourself a Great GM

Pacing
Flexibility
Large Group Management
Acting in Character
Recruiting Players

Three Things I Need to Work On

Incorporating PC backgrounds into a campaign
Pre-session preparation
Maintaining a consistently serious tone

So there you go!  I hope this gets your own gears spinning to think about what you do well (or not so well).  Thanks to Adam for the great blog post idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review