I picked this game up yesterday, having read a lot about it at various blogs that I follow. I'll be putting up a decent review of it after I fully digest it, but in the meantime I thought I'd as you, gentle readers, a couple of questions. First, how important is PC balance to you? Some games have a pretty strong mechanic towards PC balance, usually enforced by a crunch-heavy system. Others, like Rifts for example, have uber-powerful characters fighting side-by-side with guys who are barely more than everyday humans. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (which I'll call MHP for short) eschews PC balance to reflect the disparate power levels of its source material. Hawkeye and Iron Man on the Avengers, or Colossus and Shadowcat on the X-Men. Frankly, and I may be in the minority about this, but I think it matters a lot. There's a scene in the inital run of Justice League Europe where Captain Atom flies up to this big evil cloud and just incine...
Thank you.
ReplyDeleteAlthough...I am not sure that's the vibe I get off Supers in general these days. The vibe I get - and don't want - is "regular people will instantly be afraid and hate people with special abilities who genuinely want to help them." This is joined by "no one in the world is really nice, or good by nature so super people must be as thoroughly messed up as your average middle-American high school junior."
Go away with that crap. Please! I was tired of that when it was 'in'. That was 20 years ago. Stop.
I guess this is why I'm digging the Flash TV series right now: he's a fairly decent guy with reasonable flaws who wants to help people and inspire heroism in others. Nothing wrong with that.
DeleteI think that there was a lot of deconstruction of the genre going on, some by people who I think genuinely do not like comic books or their fans (I'm looking at you, Mark Millar, you sick SOB). One of my friends and I were having a good discussion recently about what our tendencies in superhero storytelling these days says about us as a society, and I suspect there is a lot of that sense of a) suspicion of the government and people in power and b) the notion that snarkiness makes you sound smarter, that is manifesting itself in comics.