Two new campaigns: Unity and D&D


The past couple of weeks saw the gaming group launch two new games--one just in the trial period, the other for a longer haul.

My friend John ran Unity, which is still in Beta from a Kickstarter project.  The game is a techno-fantasy RPG heavily influenced by sources like Final Fantasy and RWBY.  There's a lot of anime/cinematic action with over-the-top powers and a strong reward for colorful descriptions of what your PC is doing.  We played the sample game in the world of RWBY, which is a favorite of mine and the kids.  It's a little reminiscent of 4th Ed D&D with at-will powers, powers that drain a pool of points (e.g. mana or focus) and daily abilities.  I kind of like the popcorn style of 4E and this was a good lighthearted game.  Hopefully I can provide a more in-depth review later.

I also kicked off my D&D campaign "Down Among the Dead Men," a gothic-horror megadungeon.  Looks like I have seven players, which I'll cull down to five at a time per session.  I'll have to see how to juggle that.  The first session introduced the PC's to the blighted town of Woodhaeven, the local monastery, weirdo mage, general store, and tavern.  Oh, and lots of rumors about a cursed mansion that burned to the ground mysteriously five years before.  They checked that out near the end of the session, only to find it inhabited by wolves and stirges.

It was a good first session, and I hope it continues to thrive.  More as it unfolds...

Comments

  1. I am happy to see this Rob! New Year, new games - that's how it's done.

    Unity sounds interesting. Although I am not sure about the mechanics, the Anime/Video Game RPG setting and the cinematic nature definitely appeal to me.

    We'll chat soon brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to find out more about the Unity game, but it had appeal. It felt good to be running something, especially with a strong start.

      Definitely talk soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I moved ages ago, but forgot to tell anyone

RPG Review: Far Trek

Heroes Against Darkness review